Unit 1 - The Science of Chemistry
Section 1.1 The Enterprise of Chemistry
1. Describe the role of chemists and some of the procedures that chemists use in their studies of matter and energy.
2. Define matter, energy, and forms of energy.
3. Explain the law of mass-energy and its importance to chemists.
Discussion: Role of a chemist
Laboratory: Laboratory Safety and Techniques
Worksheets: Study Guide
UPC 2; A1-2; B5-6; D5; E2, F3, 6; G1-3
Section 1.2 Decision Making
1. Compare and apply strategies for solving problems in chemistry.
2. Realize that success in solving chemistry problems lies in knowledge and practice.
Discussion: Problem Solving
Laboratory: Black box
Worksheets: Decision making
UPC 2; A1-2; G1-2
Section 1.3 Numerical Problem Solving
List and use the SI base units for mass, length, time, and temperature.
Express and convert quantities using the common SI prefixes.
Use significant digits to express the exactness of measurements.
Perform calculations using density measurements.
Discussion: Metric System, Calculation rules
Laboratory: Density, Significant digits, Measurement instruments
Computer Lab: Calculations Significant Figures (HS)
Demonstrations: Density, Metric system
Worksheets: Metric conversions
UPC 1-2; A 1-2; E 1-2; G 1-2